Sustainable Produce Container
- Professional-looking low-profile vented container
- Alternative to plastic clamshells that most recycling centers will not take
- Holds 1.5 pounds of cherry tomatoes or 1 quart of strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, mushrooms
- Made from McDonald's sandwich boxes type cardboard (F flute)
- Made with a minimum of 37% post-consumer recycled content
- Made from mills that verify their paper is procured from certified, non-controversial or controlled sources as defined by FSC, PEFC or SFI standards
- Rigid enough to stack multiple containers
- Earth-themed cut out vents allow good visibility from all sides (sun, rain, plants/flowers, wind, moon, heavens, earthworms/dirt)
- Vents allow airflow, minimizes condensation
- Holds up well during temperature transitions from field to refrigerator
- Hinged lid has locking tabs for front and sides
- Locking options of quick side slide or pushing tabs into the moons for a more secure seal
- Room on top side for stamp or sticker up to 3”x4” or wrap a label over the lid edge
- Green text on walls emphasize farm fresh goodness and sustainable packaging
- 4 step box assembly, 1 to 3 step locking process
- Shipped in stacks of 200 (19 pounds), shrink-wrapped to save box and weight
- Exterior dimensions shipped: 15”L x 15W” x 8”H
- Exterior dimensions assembled: 7”L x 4.25”W x 3”H
- Interior dimensions assembled: 6.375”L x 4.125”W x 2.875”H
- Competitively priced (SPECIAL PRICE: 200 for $25, less than $0.13 – includes shipping)
- Compostable, recyclable
- Less waste
- Happier customers
- A better world
This eco-friendly container was I'm developing to hold my sun sugar cherry tomatoes because of a frustration with the molded pulp berry containers lacking lids and the waste of plastic clamshells. Although most plastic companies say they make the clear PET plastic clamshells from recycled content (it always says "up to" some high percentage) most consumers can’t recycle them since virtually no stores will take them back like they do plastic bags and most community recycling centers will just accept #1s with spouts. Reusing them is not an option since extremely hot water (like in a dishwasher) will cause them to melt. So they are thrown into a landfill where they’ll take more than 200 years to biodegrade. This doesn’t seem fair to repay the earth for its bounty with a chemical cocktail it can do nothing with.
- Linda Fritz, Owner Sun Sugar Farms
Hate those plastic clamshells for tomatoes and berries? Package your produce professionally AND sustainably with this low-profile vented container from Sun Sugar Farms. Our Sustainable Produce Container holds 1.5 pounds of cherry tomatoes or 1 quart of strawberries and is also perfect for merchandising fresh blackberries, raspberries, and even grapes! Made from the same corrugated cardboard material that McDonald's sandwich boxes are made of, this container is rigid enough for multiple containers to stack on top of it while still protecting your produce. The earth-themed cut outs allow good visibility from all angles and encourage air in and around the produce. These vents also help to minimize condensation from temperature transitions and preserve the freshness of the product. The middle tab on the hinged lid snaps into the front slot and the two side tabs can be quickly inserted between the side walls or pushed in to the “moon” for a more secure seal. There’s a flat top surface for a label of up to 3”x4” or you can wrap a 2”x5” label over the lid edge for long-term closure. Green text on the sides emphasize the “Farm Fresh” goodness of the container’s contents.
This eco -friendly container was developed because of a frustration with the molded pulp berry containers lacking lids and not being stackable and the waste of plastic clamshells. Although most plastic companies say they make the clear PET plastic clamshells from recycled content (it always says "up to" some high percentage) for the majority of consumers these clamshells are nearly impossible to recycle. Virtually no stores will take them back like they do plastic bags and most community recycling centers will just accept #1s with spouts and no others types of #1s. Adequately cleaning the plastic clamshells for reuse is difficult since extremely hot water (like in a dishwasher) will cause them to melt. The only option left is to throw them in the trash where they may sit in a landfill taking more than 200 years to biodegrade. This doesn’t seem fair to repay the earth for its bounty with a chemical cocktail it can do nothing with.
Our Sustainable Produce Container is the cost-competitive, environmentally-friendly packaging alternative to this waste. It can be accepted as cardboard by all recycling centers or it can also easily biodegrade in a backyard compost pile. The containers ship flat in shrink-wrapped bundles of 200, saving you space. An easy 3 step assembly has your employees loading the containers with your produce and securing the box with the lid’s 3 quick tabs. All the things that go into creating your produce - the sun, rain, plants, heavens and even the earthworms - then give the customer a fun peak at the tastiness that awaits them when they buy your produce!
Overall Exterior Dimensions Assembled:
Interior Dimensions Assembled:
Capacity: 1 quart
Overall Dimensions Shipped as a Flat Stack in Shrinkwrap:
Count: 200 in a flat bundle
Price: $25 (includes shipping)/bundle
Please call Linda toll free at 888-883-7259 or email linda AT sunsugarfarms DOT com if you are interested in trying out this container! We would love your feedback! $25 gets you 200 production quality containers shipped to your location - that’s less than $0.13 a container delivered to your door. Also let us know if you would be interested in pint and half pint containers for smaller berries!