Sustainable Produce Container
Replace plastic clamshells with this sustainable, recyclable, compostable produce box made from recycled corrugated cardboard.
- Professional-looking vented container
- Alternative to plastic clamshells that most recycling centers will not take
- Quart holds 1.5 pounds of cherry tomatoes or 1 quart of strawberries or whole mushrooms
- Low Profile Pint holds cherry or campari tomates, blackberries, raspberries or even 4 handmade soaps
- Made from McDonald's sandwich boxes type corrugated cardboard (F flute) or SBS cardboard stock
- Corrugated cardboard version is made with a minimum of 37% post-consumer recycled content
- Corrugated stock is made from mills that verify their paper is procured from certified, non-controversial or controlled sources as defined by FSC, PEFC or SFI standards
- Rigid enough to stack multiple containers or other items on top of the containers
- Earth-themed cut out vents allow good visibility from all sides (sun, rain, plants/flowers, wind, moon, heavens, earthworms/dirt)
- Vents allow airflow, minimizes condensation
- Holds up well during temperature transitions from field to refrigerator
- Hinged lid has locking straight tab on front and moon-shaped locks on sides
- Locking options of quick side slide or pushing tabs into the moons for a more secure seal
- Room on top side for a sticker up to 3”x4” or wrap a label over the lid edge
- Green text emphasizes farm fresh goodness and sustainable packaging
- 4 step box assembly, 1 to 3 step locking process
- Shipped in stacks of 100 (10 pounds), shrink-wrapped to save box and weight
- Exterior dimensions shipped: 15”L x 15W” x 4”H (Quart)
- Exterior dimensions assembled: 7”L x 4.25”W x 3”H (Quart)
- Interior dimensions assembled: 6.375”L x 4.125”W x 2.875”H (Quart)
- Quart Weight: 1.5 ounces (plastic clamshell is approximately 1 ounce), Pint Weight: 1.25 ounces
- Competitively priced (SPECIAL BETA TESTER PRICE: 100 Low Profile Pints for $29.95 – includes shipping! Order below!)
- Compostable, recyclable, easily biodegradable
- Patent-pending US 62/710,915
- Less waste
- Happier customers
- A better world
I'm developing this eco-friendly container to hold my sun sugar cherry tomatoes because of a frustration with the expensive molded pulp berry containers lacking lids and the waste of plastic clamshells. Although most plastic companies say they make the clear PET plastic clamshells from recycled content (it always says "up to" some high percentage) most consumers can’t recycle them since virtually no stores will take them back like they do plastic bags and most community recycling centers will just accept #1s with spouts and not these clamshells. Reusing plastic clamshells is not an option since sanitizing them with extremely hot water (like in a dishwasher) will cause them to melt. So they are thrown into a landfill where they’ll take more than 200+ years to biodegrade. This doesn’t seem fair to repay the earth for its bounty with a chemical cocktail it can do nothing with.
Thanks so much if you're also interested in a solution like these new Sustainable Produce Containers! See below to place an order - the more orders we get, the lower the cost/container can be!
- Linda Fritz, Owner Sun Sugar Farms, 888-883-7259
Hate those plastic clamshells for tomatoes and berries? Package your produce professionally AND sustainably with this low-profile vented container from Sun Sugar Farms. Our Sustainable Produce Container holds 1.5 pounds of cherry tomatoes or 1 quart of strawberries and is also perfect for merchandising fresh blackberries, raspberries, and even grapes! Made from the same corrugated cardboard material that McDonald's sandwich boxes are made of, this container is rigid enough for multiple containers to stack on top of it while still protecting your produce. The earth-themed cut outs allow good visibility from all angles and encourage air in and around the produce. These vents also help to minimize condensation from temperature transitions and preserve the freshness of the product. The middle tab on the hinged lid snaps into the front slot and the two side tabs can be latched by pushing in the moon for a secure seal. There’s a flat top surface for a label of up to 3”x4” or you can also wrap a label over the lid edge for long-term closure. Green text on the box encourages the customer to recycle, reuse or compost the container when finished.
Our Sustainable Produce Container is the cost-competitive, environmentally-friendly packaging alternative to the waste of plastic produce containers. It can be accepted as cardboard by all recycling centers or it can also easily biodegrade in a backyard compost pile. The containers ship flat in shrink-wrapped bundles of 100 or by the pallet, saving you space. An easy 3 step assembly has your employees loading the containers with your produce and securing the box with the lid’s quick locking tabs. All the things that go into creating your produce - the sun, rain, plants, heavens, wind and even the earthworms - then give the customer a fun peak at the tastiness that awaits them when they buy your produce!
Please call Linda toll free at 888-883-7259, email linda AT sunsugarfarms DOT com or click on the first image below to order if you are interested in trying out this container! We would love your feedback! $29 gets you 100 production quality quart or pint containers (depending on which we produce first) shipped free to your location - that’s $0.29 a container delivered to your barn door in about 6-8 weeks when the production quantities are ready! Call for pallet pricing.